Our Story

How it All Started

Our Roots

Our story begins around 1820 when eight people formed the congregation of the present day Center Hill Church of the Brethren, then known as the Glade Run German Baptist Brethren Church. In a three-way division of the Old German Baptist Church, Church of the Brethren, and The Brethren Church from 1881-1883, our church stood with Center Hill Church of the Brethren. Again, problems arose and the church split for a second time, with a group leaving the church and moving to West Kittanning. 
The congregations split, as the church was disassembled and half of it carried by wagon to Harrison Street, where "God's Light House on the Hill" was constructed. Our present church sign still carries that motto.
A fire erupted in 1940 destroying the wooden framed church. Members of the church purchased property on Arthur Street, where a basement was quickly built. The church met in the basement until the brick structure was completed in 1944.

Building Up

A New Opportunity

It was this was during World War II, when few men were available to build and material was rationed. Yet despite the odds, and without borrowing any funds outside the congregation, wood was harvested from local forests and the current church building went up! Thankfully, the church has been fortunate continue to fund all projects, buildings, and property purchases through internal funds and donations.

Soon thereafter, in 1945, a parsonage was added to the church building, as well as a large educational unit in 1952. The gymnasium, now apart of Grace Hall which is the home of Grace Christian School, was built in 1975 with classrooms and offices being added in 2003.

Today and Beyond

Looking Forward

Currently, the Lord has blessed the church beyond measure with various opportunities for Ministry. Not only has the church been sustained within the community, Grace Christian School has also offered a challenging academic environment while also teaching a Christian World View.
The Terry White family has also entrusted the church with their property, a 108 acre campground, to be used for Ministry opportunities. This land in Templeton, PA, now called Camp Charis, has been used for fellowship and outreach for over 40 years. 
While the church split from Center Hill Church of the Brethren, we also still own and maintain the cemetery outside of this church building.
Here at Grace, we are devoted to God's Word and have a passion for sharing the Gospel. As we look ahead, we desire to use the gifts and resource the Lord has given us to further His Kingdom. We wish come alongside one another and strive to serve in a way that honors and glorifies the Lord.

Grace Hall

Home of Grace Christian School and many exciting opportunities for you to connect!
Click on the photo to learn more.

Camp Charis

Home of White's Lodge, two ponds, and a 100 acre wood.
Click on the photo to learn more.

Want to Learn More?